Sunday 5 June 2011

Wasps and a not so busy bee

Over the past couple of days I've not had much time out in the garden with my camera. Frank assured me that he had credible intelligence which suggested that we should expect an invasion from a troop of anarchic badgers. So, I've actually been doing some proper work - guarding the garden from advancing mustelids. A busy bee I may have been, but I did get a chance to grab some quick pictures of some of the garden's regular visitors.


This wasp was back and forth most of the afternoon to collect water from the natural wells within the teasel. He'd fly off and return again a few moments later.





Out of the pool and into the evening sun



We have an old uprooted tree stump out in the garden. Despite it gradually being eaten away by its many visitors, we instinctively seem to use as a very rustic seat. It's a regular haunt of my current favourite visitor to the garden, the blue mason bee. I often find it, and many other small insects, sitting on it as they bask in the last of the late evening sun.


Blue mason bee (Osmia caerulescens)






There are also a lot of tiny wasps out in the garden this week. They seem perfectly fond of the tiny flowers on the Herchura.




Until next time,
Claude
x

0 comments:

Post a Comment