Thursday 26 May 2011

The Gatekeeper

This butterfly, the 'Hedge Brown', is also known as the 'Gatekeeper' - a name that I definitely prefer as it conjures up all manner of magical images. It's so called because it's often found at the edges of meadows and pathways, places where you often find gates. Apparently they show a preference for yellow flowers. So if you want to attract them to your garden, maybe planting plenty of yellow flowering plants is the way to go - lots of ragwort and other native flowers. Mind you, I obviously spotted this one feeding on a blue flowering Sea Holly so yellow isn't essential.
This particular butterfly is a female and, as they are one of our more common butterflies, I'm hoping to snap a male this summer so that I can see the comparison for myself!




Pyronia tithonus (f)







Until next time
Claude
x

0 comments:

Post a Comment